hnalogo.jpg (103481 bytes)

 

Hugo Neighborhood Association & Historical Society

Home
Up
Briggs, George E.
Browning, Edmond
Croxton, Thomas
Ganiard, Oscar
Harkness, Samuel
Hendershott, James
Hogue, Ebenezer
Hogue, Samuel
Holton, Daniel S.
Howell, Jefferson
Mason, Joseph
Nagle, William
Newman, William
Sexton, David
Smith, John S W
Tolin, Edward N
Tuffs, James P.
Twogood, James H.
Walker, Wesley R. and Augustus L.

 

BROWNING, EDMOND GREEN

Edmond Green Browning.jpg (51776 bytes)

Edmond Green Browning and his family crossed the plains in 1852.  He was a physician, minister, botanist.  His wife, Nancy Callison, died after giving birth to their sixth child and was buried along the emigrant trail.  In 1855, Edmond, his second wife, Nancy Allyn, and their children settled just north Myrtle Creek and took up a donation land claim of 320 acres.  They named their place "Spring Brook Farm".

Brownings children were very enterprising like their father.  They soon became prosperous in the mining business after purchasing and selling numerous placer and quartz claims along Grave and Coyote Creeks, finally establishing the E. G. Browning Mining CompanyThis family is also known for building a ditch referred to as the Browning Ditch which increased the water available for mining operations in the Coyote Creek area.  It was utilized for nearly 20 years hence.  Linneaus N. Browning established the town of Tom East later called Placer which had a store, school and hotel.

(source - First There Was TwoGood by Larry McLane, pages 188-190 & 275)

Back to Top

2012 Hugo Neighborhood Association & Historical Society