hnalogo.jpg (103481 bytes)

 

Hugo Neighborhood Association & Historical Society

Home
Up
Old Sexton House
1908 Hugo Students
Old Pacific Highway
Ludwick Family
Three Pines School
Quartz Creek School
Mt. Sexton Lookout
WildWood Service Station & Auto Court
Oxyoke Service Station
Hick's Auto Camp / Court Conway's
Mt. Sexton Garage & Auto Camp

 

HICK'S AUTO CAMP / COURT CONWAY

The Hicks Auto Camp was built by J.B. Hicks in 1926.  It was located along old U.S. 99 (now Oxyoke Road), on part of the old donation land claim of Hiram Niday & Caroline Stumbo Niday Sexton.  It included the store, gasoline pumps, and cabins to house travelers.  A tavern was also conducted in the store buildings.

In 1944, it became Conway Service Station & Store or just Court Conway.  The business continued for a while as a Mobile station, a general store, and a cafe.  They would close the cafe portion of the business, continue the general store, and add a "feed and seed" warehouse and laundry mat at the south end of the store.  Court Conway continued under the Conway's ownership through about 1967 or 1968 when they sold it and retired.  (Article by Mike Walker)

"Hicks Auto Camp which became Court Conway's in 1943 or 1944 was located on Oxyoke Road, Hugo, OR.  Originally it was a cafe, store and gas station.  Later, the cafe was closed, a feed shed was added several years later and many years after that a laundry-mat was added as a separate building", recalls long time resident, Connie Conway Smith.

(Photos are courtesy of Connie Conway Smith)

Court Conway 1943.jpg (169397 bytes)

 

Court Conway 1943 -b.jpg (180132 bytes)

Laundrymat - Conway - late 1950's.jpg (177834 bytes)

Back to Top

2012 Hugo Neighborhood Association & Historical Society