Hugo Neighborhood Association & Historical Society
Silas & Ida Ludwick & Daughter Viola: 1903
1. Viola May Nebraska?
2. Elmer Ray February 29, 1904, Nebraska
3. Harold Jonathan December 20, 1905, Orchard, Antelope County, Nebraska
4. Lila Elaine March 26, 1908, Orchard, Antelope County, Nebraska
5. Esther Marie February 5, 1910, Orchard, Antelope County, Nebraska
6. Eva Eugenia July 27, 1912, Benida, Idaho
7. Freda Fern August 6, 1914, Idaho?
8. Violet Ruth November 28, 1916, Three Pines, Oregon
9. Vivian Rose May 20, 1919, Three Pines, Oregon
10. ElVon Cecil May 9, 1921, Three Pines, Oregon
11. Vernon Chester April 23, 1923, Three Pines, Oregon
The Silas and Ida Ludwick family moved from Idaho to the beauty of Gods Oregon country in 1915 arriving on Christmas Eve. They lived for a short time in Wolf Creek.
The family moved to the little community of Three Pines in 1916. They would first live in a little house on Hugo Road (today know as Three Pines Road) next to Corliss Creek, about a quarter of a mile east from where they would soon establish their ranch in Three Pines.
The Hugo and Three Pines areas were densely dotted with fruit and nut orchards and grape vineyards and the neighborhood children went to work at the ripe old age of 12 years in the packing plants at the different orchards. They earned approximately 50 cents for eight hours of work.
Some would say God was watching over the Ludwick family; other would say it was fate. Regardless, Silas bought two houses from Josephine County it had repossessed for nonpayment of property taxes and then moved them onto property soon to be homesteaded. The two houses became one in which the family lived. There was also a small house on the property that was originally the office for the Three Pines Lumber Company and a tool shed that became the Ludwicks shop. The Ludwick family ultimately homesteaded 160 acres of O & C land just south of the Town of Three Pines which was patented in 1923 (Patent No. 914291).
LUDWICK FAMILY in THREE PINES, OREGON: 1927
LUDWICK FAMILY in THREE PINES, OREGON: 1934Front Row: Children Marie & Margaret Hansen, & Harold Ludwick Holding Harold & Baby Albert
Back Row: Vernon, Violet With Arms Around Vernon, Elmer, Esther (Ludwick) Hansen, Vivian, And ElVon
Window: Mother Ida Ludwick
Courtesy of Vern Ludwick
VERNON LUDWICK'S GRANTS PASS HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION PICTURE: 1941
© 2012 Hugo Neighborhood Association & Historical Society