hnalogo.jpg (103481 bytes)

 

Hugo Neighborhood Association & Historical Society

Home
Up
Briggs, George E.
Browning, Edmond
Croxton, Thomas
Ganiard, Oscar
Harkness, Samuel
Hendershott, James
Hogue, Ebenezer
Hogue, Samuel
Holton, Daniel S.
Howell, Jefferson
Mason, Joseph
Nagle, William
Newman, William
Sexton, David
Smith, John S W
Tolin, Edward N
Tuffs, James P.
Twogood, James H.
Walker, Wesley R. and Augustus L.

 

NAGLE, WILLIAM

William Nagle.jpg (95799 bytes)

William Nagle was a 63 year old German miner and storekeeper in the Grave Creek area when he met his untimely death, May 4th, 1883.   He had established his store & saloon on the old stage road in the Leland area.   His nephew, Hugo Garbers, had settled just over the hill in the JumpOff Joe Creek area.  The town of Hugo was named after him.

Mr. Nagle, known affectionally as Uncle Billy, made his home in his store.  He was murdered and his store was burned by ruthless robbers.   This crime was never solved but locals suspect that the evildoers were after supplies and possibly gold that was commonly kept at stores to pay vendors for their inventories.  A rather large reward of $500 was put up to help solve this murder/arson case and bring justice to his good name.  Locals searched all over the hills for clues to the murder of their kindly friend to no avail. 

(source - First There Was Twogood by Larry McLane, page 28)

Back to Top

2012 Hugo Neighborhood Association & Historical Society