PUBLIC SAFETY SERVICES (PSS)
- THREE TYPES OF PUBLIC SAFETY SERVICES (PSS) FUNDING
- The Association of Oregon Counties (AOC) and Oregon
identified three types of funding for PSS:
- 1. State provided PSS,
- 2. State/County shared and provided PSS, and
- 3. County provided PSS.
- Association of Oregon Counties. October 1,
2010. Task Force on Effective and Cost-Efficient Service Provision. Rep. Nancy
- SHARED STATE-COUNTY JUSTICE SYSTEM & PUBLIC SAFETY
- Oregon State Provided PSS
- Appellate Court
- State Police
- State Prison
- Attorney General
- State & County Shared PSS
- Trial Courts
- District Attorney
- 911/Emergency Communications
- Emergency Management
- Homeland Security
- Community Corrections
- Court Security
- Juvenile Services
- Marine Patrol
- Drug Courts
- County Law Library
- County Provided PSS
- Sheriff Patrol
- Animal Control
- Justice Courts
- Search and Rescue
- County Jail
- RANGE OF COMPONENTS IN LEVIES/SALES TAX FOR INCREASED
FUNDING: 2012 - 2015
- Section I.C, Appendix 4B. JO COs Minimally
Adequate Level of Public Safety Services (MALPSS) Standards, Including Law Enforcement
Staffing & Deployment
- Walker, Mike; Whalen, Jon, Members
JS&PSS Exploratory Committee, Hugo Neighborhood Association & Historical Society.
Very Draft December 15, 2015. Appendix 4B. JO COs Minimally Adequate Level of
Public Safety Services (MALPSS) Standards, Including Law Enforcement Staffing &
Deployment. Supporting Justice System & Public Safety Services Study Design: 2015.
- During the last four years of levies and the sales tax
proposal (2012 - 2015), locally there are usually considered to be six major components of
the JO CO public safety program.
- 1. Adult Jail.
- 2. Juvenile Justice Program.
- 3. District Attorneys Office.
- 4. Sheriff Rural Patrol Deputies.
- 5. Criminal Investigations &
Related Sheriffs Office Support Services. Includes all 10 budgeted programs of
the Josephine County Sheriff's Office.
- 6. Animal Control/Protection.
- Other Public Safety Services
- 7. Adult Corrections
- Range Of Components In Levies/Sales Tax For
Increased Funding: 2012 - 2015
- The total number of components in the five levies were 10.
- 1. Adult Jail
- 2. Juvenile Justice
- 3. District Attorneys Office
- 4. Sheriff Rural Patrol Deputies
- 5. Sheriff Criminal Investigations & Related Office
- 6. Animal Control/Protection
- 7. Provide School Security Program & Resources
- 8. Better Business & Job Environment
- 9. Citizens Oversight Committee
- 10. Annual Independent Audit
- DIFFERENCES BETWEEN AOC AND JO CO PSS?
- There are differences between the AOC list of public safety
components and the JO CO range of components identified in levies/sales tax for increased
funding: 2012 - 2015. The public safety components of the AOC and JO CO lists are in
fact the same. It appears the only difference in public safety components being what the
local government and two safety groups felt needed additional funding. How do the
following State and JO CO shared public safety service fit into the components of the JO
CO Public Safety Services?
- Trial Courts (State and JO CO provided)
- County Jail 911/Emergency Communications
- Emergency Management (Sheriffs Office)
- Homeland Security (part of Sheriffs Office?)
- Court Security (Sheriffs Office)
- Marine Patrol (State and JO CO provided)
- Search and Rescue (Sheriffs Office)
- Drug Courts (State and JO CO provided)
- County Law Library (State and JO CO provided)
- Community Corrections (State and JO CO provided)